Announcements - Monkey now available!

Posted by: Newt Newport On: Jul 13th 2010 edited

Its been out over a week now, since I released it at Continuum Convention, but Monkey: The Storytelling Game of The Journey to the West is now out.

I'd like to thank the folk here who have generally cheered on the development of the game. In particular I'd like to thank Neil Gow, who provided much sound advice and helped me make some crucial decisions about the art and direction of the game.

More information here http://d101games.co.uk/books/monkey/

And the game is available via lulu , Monkey £12 print/£8 pdf

Posted by: Malcolm Craig On: Jul 13th 2010

Hi Newt,

That's great to hear!

I'd love to know what in particular inspired you to create a game based on The Journey to the West. It's been fruitful ground for many people in the arts over the years, and I'd be delighted to hear your take on it and how you found the process of interpreting such a classic story.

Cheers
Malcolm

Posted by: Neil Gow On: Jul 13th 2010

Aw shucks!

I'd echo what Malc said - Monkey is a radical departure from your main body of work (the stuff based on Rune- and Heroquest stuff.) Hearing 'The Story of Monkey' would be exceptionally interesting.

Neil

Posted by: Newt Newport On: Jul 13th 2010

I did a talk about the inspiration/design process at Continuum, but unfortunately it wasn't recorded :(

However I've got my notes, and once life has settled down a bit (playing catch up at home and work at the mo) I'll make a post.

It certainly has been an interesting Journey writing and publishing the game :)

Posted by: Newt Newport On: Jul 13th 2010

Neil Gow:
Monkey is a radical departure from your main body of work (the stuff based on Rune- and Heroquest stuff.) Hearing 'The Story of Monkey' would be exceptionally interesting.

That I think musing on it would make an interesting article all of it is own, not only how I manage 'switching design' hats from Openquest-HeroQuest-Wordplay*-Monkey but also interacting with the fans of each system.

Posted by: Gregor Hutton On: Jul 14th 2010

I will look forward to reading that, I always watched Monkey when I was a kid.

The preview looks pretty nice and I totally dig the cover. Thumbs up.

Posted by: Neil Gow On: Jul 14th 2010

Well, I've had the pleasure of playtesting the game twice and it definitely delivers. The card mechanic is clever and it really did evoke the tales I remember reading when I was younger. You can even find me in the book - I'm 'Scribe' from the pre-gen characters.

I'll bang up a review when I get my copy.

Neil

Posted by: James Mullen On: Jul 18th 2010

I picked up a copy of this today, it's a lovely looking book and I can't wait to get in a game of it soon!

Articles and forum posts copyright © their authors 2007-2020.