Announcements - Game Chef 2011

Posted by: James Mullen On: Jul 16th 2011 edited

The first draft of my Game Chef '11 entry, Faded Glamour, is finished and posted up on the frontpage of my website.

Anyone who has the time to read it and provide constructive feedback will have my undying gratitude... and with the 3,000 word limit, it's only 5 pages long, so it won't take you long, but there's no room to add anything to it! :-O

Posted by: Andrew Kenrick On: Jul 18th 2011

What's it about James? Tell those of us who are click-shy... (I'll try to read it later).

Posted by: James Mullen On: Jul 18th 2011

Of course... :-)

This year's Game Chef contest had Shakespeare as a theme, with ingredients of Daughter, Forsworn, Exile and Nature, with each entry required to be inspired by or make reference to three out of those. This year's contest opened on July 15th, with a closing date for entries of July 25th. The Moderator is once again Johnathan Walton, who will be judging finalists put forward from those voted for by all the contest entrants. For more details of the contest and to check on the progress being made, visit the Game Chef homepage.

My game is Faded Glamour, a story of exiles from a faerie realm, forced to forswear their true nature and live as mortals in 1930's Los Angeles; there's a bit of the Hollywood Dream in there and a lot of gritty Noir. The story engine is driven by drama: there are no random results involved anywhere from start to finish and every scene is framed and resolved through a process of negotiation. Characters are forced into choosing from a limited range of actions, determined by their emotional state at the time, e.g. an Angered character almost invariably carries out destructive acts, whilst a Bitter one will tend to shut themself off from the attention of others. Why not give it a try for yourself?

Articles and forum posts copyright © their authors 2007-2020.