Announcements - [Contested Ground] The Hot War Transmission 1, FREE

Posted by: Malcolm Craig On: Jul 13th 2010 edited

The Hot War Transmission is a new, full colour, quarterly mini-supplement for the Hot War game. Each themed issue offers game material designed to provoke and inspire.

Issue 1 focuses on the work of the late, great Nigel Kneale, creator of the hugely influential Quatermass TV series and films. Inside the Transmission you'll find a guide to Quatermass, with useful hints about incorporating situations and themes into your games, locations from the series and films, and a Kneale-esque game situation created by Scott Dorward. The game situation gives you background, antagonists, and four pre-generated characters, making ideal for convention play or for slotting in to your own games.

Issue 1 of the Hot War Transmission is free to download from the Contested Ground website and Drive Thru RPG. Future issues will be priced at $4 and will be available from Drive Thru RPG and Indie Press Revolution.

A limited number of full colour print versions will be available from the Contested Ground web shop in the coming weeks.
Details**
Title: The Hot War Transmission, Volume 1, Issue 1
Authors: Malcolm Craig and Scott Dorward
Cover Artist: Paul Bourne
Price: £5 (print); FREE (PDF)
Hot War** is a game of friends, enemies, secrets, and lies set in a post-apocalyptic 1960s London. You can find out more by visiting the Contested Ground website and downloading our free previews.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Posted by: Gregor Hutton On: Jul 13th 2010

That looks amazing. Wow.

Posted by: Per Fischer On: Jul 13th 2010

Amazing indeed. Superb.

(web nerdy thing: the £ sign on the web page is not displaying in my FF browser - it does in Safari.)

Per

Posted by: Malcolm Craig On: Jul 13th 2010

Thanks for the kind words. I'm fairly sure the strength of the content will back up the impact of the visual elements. The aim is for everything - text and visuals - to be useable in some way.

From the CGS point of view, we definitely think there's room for a high-quality, game-specific publication like this. But, it's only with further issues that we'll have solid data on that.

Cheers
Malcolm

Posted by: James Mullen On: Jul 13th 2010

Awesome stuff, but then I am a big fan of Nigel Kneale anyway. OK, one niggle: where's the radio piece? Its mentioned but there are no further references to it...

Posted by: Malcolm Craig On: Jul 13th 2010 edited

James Mullen:Awesome stuff, but then I am a big fan of Nigel Kneale anyway. OK, one niggle: where's the radio piece? Its mentioned but there are no further references to it...

That's a fair comment, but I felt that it would be disingenuous to include comment on the radio piece as I've never actually had the opportunity to hear it. It's the one Quatermass performance I can't speak to! I've also heard that it isn't particularly great, apart from Andrew Keir's performance as Quatermass.

Cheers
Malc

Posted by: Scott Dorward On: Jul 13th 2010

I did listen to the Quatermass Memoirs a few years ago, and unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it was really just synopses of the other Quatermass stories. There was a narrative that framed them, but I can't remember it really adding much.

Posted by: David Wood On: Jul 14th 2010

Love it, Looking forward to the print copies, but lapping up the PDF right now.

Posted by: Malcolm Craig On: Jul 15th 2010

Scott Dorward:I did listen to the Quatermass Memoirs a few years ago, and unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it was really just synopses of the other Quatermass stories. There was a narrative that framed them, but I can't remember it really adding much.

That's pretty much what I understand from me reading of articles on the Memoirs. The fictional parts (as far as I understand) slot into the space between Quatermass and the Pit and The Quatermass Conclusion.

David Wood:Love it, Looking forward to the print copies, but lapping up the PDF right now.

That's good to hear, glad you're enjoying it. The print copies should be available in two to three weeks time, in glorious full colour.

Cheers
Malcolm

Articles and forum posts copyright © their authors 2007-2020.